IFS is proud to announce that we are now offering historical tours of Nassau/New Providence in partnership with Woodside Transportation.
This trip is a great option for groups that have a late departure time from the Nassau airport on their way back to the US. The scheduled flights for your group from Andros to Nassau will arrive in Nassau between 8 am and 9 am. If your departure flight to the US will be leaving after 3 pm, the Nassau tour will work well for your group and will provide ample time for the tour. We suggest that groups check-in for their international departure flight and check their bags with the airline before departing for the tour. The average length of this tour is between 3 and 4 hours long.
The tour has a total cost of $25 per person (with lunch included). The tour focuses on visiting a number of historical sites throughout New Providence and includes a stop for lunch. The bus used for the tour has a capacity of 29 passengers and is driven by a licensed and insured professional driver. The driver will also act as your tour guide and will provide detailed information about each site you visit and many others that you will see while driving. They are very knowledgeable and are happy to answer any questions you may have. See below for additional details about the tour.
To start the tour, your group will be picked up directly from the US Departures terminal at the Nassau airport.
- The first stop of the tour is at the New Providence caves. This site is a long cave system with closed passage and there are usually many fruit bats flying around throughout the site. Your group will take around 15 minutes to explore the caves and your tour guide will provide detailed historical information.
- Your next stop will be at Fort Charlotte. Built in 1788, at 100 acres in size, this is the largest fort on New Providence. Your group will have the option to view the fort from the perimeter or pay a small $2 fee to gain access to the Fort and explore the site on foot.
- The next stop is at Fort Fincastle and the Queen's Staircase. This site can be viewed from the perimeter while still on the bus, or your group can pay an additional $5 fee to gain access to the Fort and explore the site on foot.
- After visiting Fort Fincastle the next stop of the tour is at Fort Montagu. This site is the oldest fort still standing on New Providence and was built in 1741! Your group will exit the tour bus and spend around 15 minutes exploring the site on foot.
- The next stop of the tour is lunch at Arawak Cay. Groups will typically have a fish fry that includes fried chicken or fish, a side of fries, and a drink (there is also a vegetarian salad option). This stop typically takes place around 12:15 or 12:30 PM and your group will have reserved seating and access to onsite bathrooms. If you're interested in other dining options, please contact the office to see what's available.
- When your group is finished with lunch, you will head back to the airport to check-in for your flight. The tour guide will plan to get you back to the airport around 2 hours before your flight departure.
The typical drive time for the tour is around 1 hr and 15 minutes total with a maximum of 2 hours if traffic is very bad.
There is no required paperwork for you or the students to complete. If you decide to book the tour, they will have a driver in the area around 8 am and they will be ready to pick you up from the airport with just a few minutes notice.
If you're interested in receiving more details or would like to move forward with booking the tour, please contact the office.