How to Obtain a Research Permit

For Conducting Research, Conservation Work or Collecting on Andros Island, Bahamas


1. ALL RESEARCH in the Bahamas requires a permit from BEST

Depending on the type of research, conservation work, or collecting you may be doing, the Bahamas Government will require you work with the correct permitting agency.

Start any research project with an application to the Bahamas Environment, Science and Technology Commission (BEST). You must complete a research permit application found here:  Any other permit you apply for will require that you show a permit from BEST.


Charlotte House, 1st Floor
Charlotte & Shirley Streets P.O. Box N-7132
NP, The Bahamas

2. Marine Based Research Permits

Any marine based research requires a permit from the Department of Marine Resources.  Complete a research application form from the Department of Marine Resources.  


East Bay Street
P.O. Box N-3028
NP, The Bahamas
Telephone: (242) 393-1777
Fax: (242) 393-0238

3. Exporting of CITES-listed Species

If you require the export of any CITES-listed species you are required to contact the Department of Agriculture and complete a CITES application form.  

Luceta Hanna
NP, The Bahamas
Telephone: (242) 397-7457
Fax: (242) 325-3960

4. Any work to be done within a Bahamas National Trust managed park

If your research, conservation work, or collecting will take place in a managed Bahamas National Trust land or marine park, you will need to complete a permit application from BNT found here:  

Any questions can be sent to You will be contacted within five days to confirm your application, and your application will be processed within two weeks.  You must email your completed permits from Bahamas Environment Science and Technology Commission (BEST), Department of Marine Resources, and/or Department of Agriculture to Pay a Bahamas National Trust (BNT) research permit processing fee of $75 found at:


BAHAMAS NATIONAL TRUST                                                         
The Bay Street Business Centre
P.O. Box N-4105
NP, The Bahamas
Telephone: (242) 393-1317
Fax: (242) 393-4978


5. Additional Information:

  • The procedures of the permitting processes can change periodically and therefore it is recommended to check in with the relevant agencies about any changes to procedures.

  • All research equipment and materials brought into the country need to be listed in the BEST permit for exemption, otherwise, they will be subject to taxes.

  • When exporting specimens, also remember to acquire the appropriate import permits from the relevant country.

  • Any intention of bioprospecting must be clearly stated on your application form.

  • Recurring research with BNT managed national parks will need new applications processed, however, reference to previous application forms and permits can reduce the amount of information needed.

  • Refusal to comply with the documentation requirements may be result in the refusal to conduct research within BNT managed parks, or in The Bahamas in the future.